Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekly Rundown: Zorn, Marbury, Corso

Weekly Rundown is a combination of links and brief comments on stories and topics that I couldn't get to during the week. If there's something important that I missed, don't hesitate to send an email or leave a comment.

(Quick note: This post is a day late, so I'm going to include some links from today. Anyway, I should have mentioned this before, but I've been pretty busy lately, and I probably won't be able to post as often in the next few weeks. But I'll still try to get as many posts up as I can. To those of you who do so, thanks for reading.)
  • It's pretty funny to mention this now, especially after what happened yesterday, but Melvin Mora, last week, said that he wanted "to be an Oriole forever." [Baltimore Sun]

  • Tony Kornheiser is planning a return to radio. [D.C. Sports Bog]

  • Apparently the Redskins offensive line is one of the worst in the league. [FanHouse]

  • Howard Bryant wrote a long, interesting piece about Billy Beane and Moneyball, but I'm still not sure exactly what point he was trying to make. Is Beane a bad GM? Is he too concerned with things outside of baseball? I don't think either of those things is true. [ESPN]

  • Jim Zorn being Jim Zorn at Redskins training camp:

    "Here's what I did, I wanted to kind of cut down on all of the colors. We had an excellent color scheme last year, ok? I wanted to become more boring, and use our burgundy as the featured color. Because we had light gray, dark gray, black, smokey gray. We had dark burgundy, we had red. We had all kinds of colors. And then we had bellbottom sweats, where guys were taping around [their ankles]. You guys remember that? White tape around everybody's ankles? We looked like bike riders trying to keep their pants from getting greasy.

    So what I did is I got together with Brad Berlin, our equipment manager, and we kind of created just a cutdown on colors and styles of what we wanted the team to look like."

    Don't ever change, Zorn. [D.C. Sports Bog]

  • J.A. Adande weighs in on the confusing and odd Stephon Marbury situation. [ESPN]

  • Posnanski on advanced fielding statistics: "They’re not as good as they could be or will be ... I think everyone would agree about that. But they try (and often succeed) and taking an objective look at how effective a player performs defensively. Those numbers say [Yuniesky Betancourt] is a disaster at shortstop. Flawed numbers or not, I would tend to believe those over my lyin’ eyes." [Joe Posnanski]

  • Brendan Haywood is better than you think he is. [Truth About It]

  • Check out this crazy catch by the Pirates' Delwyn Young last week that the umpires (understandably) missed. [FanHouse]

  • Rob Neyer is a fan of the George Sherrill trade:

    I'm not going to criticize the Dodgers for trading Josh Bell. Who knows? Maybe Casey Blake will live forever.
    What I will do is send up a big hip-hip-hooray for the Orioles, because the single best thing any rebuilding manager can do, ever, is trade a relief pitcher in late July for a couple of solid prospects.

    Let me repeat for anyone not paying attention: a relief pitcher.

    Relief pitchers are, well, I would say that they're "fungible" except that word always makes me think of a massively fun and rigid airship. Instead I'll say that a relief pitcher, purely in terms of value, is not worth two solid prospects.

    Bell and Johnson are solid. Bell opened the season as the Dodgers' eighth-best prospect, and has done nothing this season to damage his credentials -- he's got mid-range power and a .364 career on-base percentage. Johnson is 21, almost 22, certainly throws hard enough (90-93) and has struck out nearly a batter per inning in his five minor-league seasons.

    If I were an Orioles fan, I would be organizing a party right now.

    Oh, and I'm also a fan of the trade. [SweetSpot]

  • Mike Williams has lost more than 100 pounds in eight months. Next step: Play better in training camp. [Redskins Insider]

  • Speaking of losing weight, Ralph Friedgen has lost 95 pounds. [FanHouse]

  • Could a quarterback controversy be coming for the Redskins? [Hogs Haven]

  • Is PFT's Mike Florio at it again? [Mr. Irrelevant]

  • Lee Corso is on the comeback trail, and I wish him the best of luck. [Awful Announcing]

No comments:

Post a Comment