- The Redskins improved their defense by adding Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo, but the offensive line is a legitimate concern. [Shutdown Corner]
- Jason Campbell is working hard and trying to be a team leader. [Pro Football Talk]
- According to John Feinstein, Tony Kornheiser is a diva when it comes to parking:
Last February on a Saturday morning I’d just finished working out when my phone rang. It was my pal Sally Jenkins. She was in town and she and Tony wanted to go to that day’s Maryland game to, “show Gary support.” No doubt the two of them walking in would mean the end of any further controversy involving Coach Gary Williams.
“Why don’t you go with us?” she said.
“I’m going to another game,” I said.
There was a pause. “Can we have your parking pass?”
The real reason for the call. “Sure you can,” I said. “But it isn’t on the loading dock (right next to the back door) where Tony likes to park. You’ll have to walk about 50 yards.” (Since I rarely go to Maryland games these days the only time I’d ask Gary for a spot on the loading dock would be if I HAD to go and it was snowing or freezing cold).
Sally called back soon after to say they didn’t need the pass. Tony had called Gary a few hours before tipoff and Gary had gotten him onto the loading dock. [Feinstein on the Brink]
- T.O.'s reality show isn't really doing that well. [FanHouse]
- Delonte West almost makes JaVale McGee look normal. [Ball Don't Lie]
- The Nets are expecting Jarvis Hayes to take on a larger role next season. Good luck with that. [Nets Daily]
- Although I do agree with Gene Wojciechowski, the best way to leave Bartman alone is to stop writing about him. [ESPN]
- Maryland fails to make Dick Vitale's preseason top 40, but Duke, of course, is in his top five. [ESPN]
- Chris Mortensen offers this interesting nugget on some Minnesota Vikings players:
As for the lovable and crazy Jared Allen, he has formed a Yahtzee league with linebackers Chad Greenway and Heath Farwell, among others. "You gotta kill some time," Allen said. "We thought about all the old games like Clue and Monopoly, but Yahtzee won out."
As long as they're not playing on a boat, I think that's just fine. [ESPN]
- The Mottrams take down the Cooleys in a throw-off. [Mr. Irrelevant]
- Melvin Mora, Aubrey Huff, and Danys Baez have all cleared waivers. Still, I'd be surprised if they went anywhere. [Baltimore Sun]
- Jason Whitlock wrote about Jeff George -- again. [Jason Whitlock]
- Finally, Tampa Bay Rays catchers have been so bad that even Gregg Zaun offers a significant improvement at the position. [FanGraphs]
Monday, August 10, 2009
Weekly Rundown: Campbell, Vitale, Zaun
Weekly Rundown is a combination of links and brief comments on stories and topics that I couldn't get to during the week. If there's something important that I missed, don't hesitate to send an email or leave a comment.