Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Few Points

- Disappointing loss by the Wizards last night. Not going to comment too much about that, but I was confused on why Arenas played so bad. Hopefully he can turn it around tonight against Seattle. It probably isn't looking too promising though, since the Wizards are 4-12 in the second game of back-to-backs over the season. Then again, it's the Sonics.

By the way, since I figured it would be a good idea and funny, I'm going to do a running blog throughout the game tonight. Not only will this give you a little insight into how I view the Wizards, but how I view anything in general that I watch on TV.

- I thought it was interesting today to see that backup QB Matt Schaub was traded to the Texans. The last few seasons, the Falcons had seemed so unwilling to part with Schaub with the injury risk that Michael Vick is, and now with the coaching change, they gave him up just that quickly. According to Len Pasquarelli's story here, the teams agreed to swap their first round picks for this year, and Atlanta gets Houston's 2007 and 2008 second round choices.

That seems like a pretty steep price, and I wouldn't imagine they'd give up such high picks just to sit Schaub on the bench. I bet, at the very least, he'll be getting a shot to start over Carr. I'd be worried about my starting position now if I were him. Also, since Atlanta will move up to the #8 pick, I wonder if they'll consider taking a QB depending on who is there. I don't know who their backup will be now, so it will be interesting to see how this situation develops.

- Well, it seems that if you snooze, you lose, and I missed my opportunity to write at least a brief summary or article on my dislike for Billy Packer. It seems one of my favorite writers, Bill Simmons, has done just that for the next issue of ESPN the Magazine. For anyone who knows what I think about college basketball or has ever talked to me about it, you should know that I despise Packer's announcing and usually can't stand even listening to him during a game for more than 5 minutes.

Simmons wrote, "So we're left with two choices: mute our TV or grit our teeth. I've tried it both ways and found it's more enjoyable to mute and listen to my iPod. That's my plan through the title game. I'm doing it for my own sanity. No offense, Billy, but 32 years is more than enough."

I couldn't agree more, and I usually mute the TV and do whatever else while watching a game he's announcing. Eventually he's got to go. I hate to say it, but I'd rather listen to Dick Vitale anyday rather than Billy Packer.

No comments:

Post a Comment