Saturday, March 14, 2009

Carter to host Washington Post Live (updated)

It's a little strange that the day I write something about Wizards Insider, the D.C. Sports Bog announces that Wizards beat writer Ivan Carter will be leaving the newspaper business to host Comcast Sportsnet's Washington Post Live. Maybe I should start writing about Redskins Insider a little more frequently then.

I can't recall ever watching more than 15 minutes of WPL, but I've seen Carter on it before, and he's been pretty good. I'm sure he'll do just fine.

As for him leaving the Wizards beat, it's sad for Wizards fans. Carter does a great job covering the team from all angles, plus he updates regularly and seemed to enjoy his job. But I guess he just wanted to be on TV a little more:

"I think we all knew that Ivan was destined for a career in television," said Post sports editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, who hired Ivan as an intern in Minnesota and later brought him from the Kansas City Star to The Post. "Ivan is a natural on television, and we're not surprised that the folks who run CSN would see the same thing."

Carter hasn't notified fans on the Wizards Insider blog yet; I'm curious what he has to say.

I guess this horrible season for the Wiz isn't sparing anyone.

Update: Carter posted a brief note on Wizards Insider today about leaving for WPL:

As my guy Steinberg reported yesterday, I'm leaving the Post in a couple of weeks to host Washington Post Live on Comcast. It's always a risk when a career print guy jumps to the tube and I love this job and this newspaper but it's just something that is too good to pass up.
After 10 years covering the NFL and NBA as a beat reporter, I'm ready for a new challenge. Anyway, if I horrifically bomb, I fully expect to hear about it from you faithful readers. I'll miss you guys and gals. In the meantime, no tanking in my game. I'll keep bringin' it in print on this blog until I'm done......

He's a hard worker, and I'm sure he'll do just fine. But it's still sad to see him moving on. Good luck, Ivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment