This has been a particularly busy offseason for the Orioles. Let's recap what they've done up to this point.
- Acquired Mark Reynolds from the Diamondbacks for David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio.
- Re-signed Koji Uehara to a one-year deal with a vesting option for 2012.
- Dealt for J.J. Hardy and Brendan Harris in exchange for Jim Hoey and Brett Jacobson (same link as above).
- Brought back Cesar Izturis with a one-year deal.
- Signed Jeremy Accardo to a one-year deal.
- Added Derrek Lee with a one-year deal.
- Reached a two-year deal with Kevin Gregg.
- Signed Justin Duchscherer to a one-year deal.
- Brought in Vladimir Guerrero to DH with a one-year deal.
- Reached minor league deals with David Riske, Randy Winn, Jeff Fiorentino, Mark Hendrickson, Nick Green, among others.
Yup, that qualifies as staying busy. Here's what the opening day fielding arrangement will likely look like (not a batting lineup):
C: Matt Wieters
1B: Derrek Lee
2B: Brian Roberts
3B: Mark Reynolds
SS: J.J. Hardy
LF: Luke Scott
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Nick Markakis
DH: Vladimir Guerrero
The infield is definitely upgraded, and the one change in the outfield is Scott in left field.
Here are the rotation options (with my guesses in terms of order):
SP1: Brian Matusz
SP2: Jeremy Guthrie
SP3: Brad Bergesen
SP4: Justin Duchscherer
SP5: Jake Arrieta
SP6: Chris Tillman
I think Tillman ends up starting the season in Triple-A Norfolk, along with Zach Britton. But we'll see what happens (it's still early).
Finally, here are most of the bullpen choices, with the first four or five names likely to be included:
RP: Koji Uehara
RP: Jim Johnson
RP: Kevin Gregg
RP: Michael Gonzalez
RP: Jason Berken
RP: Jeremy Accardo
RP: Rick VandenHurk
RP: Mark Hendrickson
Other guys competing for bullpen spots will be Adrian Rosario (the team's Rule 5 Draft selection), Alfredo Simon (if his situation ever gets resolved, though that's not looking too promising at the moment), Troy Patton, Luis Lebron, and Pedro Viola. I'm probably forgetting a few guys though. Gregg will probably be the team's closer, if that matters.
Cesar Izturis is a lock for a bench spot, but the team has some decisions to make regarding Felix Pie, Nolan Reimold, Robert Andino, and at backup catcher (Jake Fox and Craig Tatum).
Interesting offseason, Andy MacPhail. The team does seem better, but we'll find out soon enough. I hope you know what you're doing.