Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Arenas admits wrongdoings in an op-ed for the Post

There's no question that Gilbert Arenas is dealing with a rather difficult situation right now. He has been suspended for the rest of the season, faces possible jail time after pleading guilty to a felony gun charge, and has lost several million dollars in the process. One of the best things that Arenas can do, though, is try to salvage his reputation by owning up to his mistakes and addressing the seriousness of what has transpired, and he has done just that in an op-ed published in The Washington Post today.

I highly encourage you to check out the whole thing, but here's the part that I felt was most interesting:

Last Tuesday, I wrote a letter to students in D.C. schools that was also about owning up to my mistakes. I said that I lost sight of the lesson I learned from Abe Pollin about how the responsibility to be a good role model comes along with the opportunity he gave me. I reiterate now the pledge I made to those students: that this is a responsibility I am not going to walk away from, that I will choose more wisely in the future and do my best to help guide children into brighter futures.

There have been few bright spots for me these past few weeks. But one came the night I played my last game this season at Verizon Center. I saw young fans were still showing up wearing my jersey. That meant more to me than I can say.

The relationship I have with young fans is very important to me. I realize now how easily I can damage it. I have to earn that respect and work to deserve it each and every day. I plan to do that work by partnering with public officials and community groups to teach kids to avoid trouble and learn from their mistakes, to strive for success by working hard and persevering, and to try to make the right choices.

Again, check out what Arenas (and his lawyers) have written. If nothing else, it shows that he's taking responsibility for what he's done and is ready to rebuild some relationships in D.C., if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment