Thursday, January 29, 2009

O's looking to deal for another unwanted Cub

After acquiring outfielder Felix Pie from the Cubs a week and a half ago, the Orioles appear to be on the verge of trading for another Cubs player. According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles want to deal for left-handed pitcher Rich Hill, and the deal could be done "as early as next week." The Cubs would apparently receive a player to be named later.

Hill, whose value appears to be limited because he is out of minor league options, would surely be given a chance to earn a spot in the Orioles' rotation.

In 57 career starts and 64 total games, Hill has a 4.37 ERA with 309 strikeouts and 137 walks. In 2007, Hill posted an 11-8 record with a 3.92 ERA and a K/BB ratio of nearly 3.

If Hill, who turns 29 in March, returns to his 2007 form, this deal could turn out to be rewarding, to say the least.


  1. Even if there's only a 5% chance of Hill regaining his form, that's a 5% chance of the O's getting a steal and a 95% of almost no consequences whatsoever.

    It's funny that after saying no to Pie and Hill + for Roberts, the O's would get Hill and Pie for Garrett Olson, Henry Williams, and a PTBNL.

  2. Agreed. MacPhail is doing some pretty good things right now.